Subscribe in a reader

Food Allergy, Food Sensitivity or Food Intolerance Testing

UPDATE (Feb 1, 2012):

Here's another article from the Toronto Star about this issue. For people with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD - ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease) or even irritable bowel disease (IBS), this test may be useful. IBS can cover the gamut from people who have lots of gas and bloating to people with constipation or diarrhea or even pain in the gastrointestinal tract.

Click on our website link below for more information.

Previous Article:
Some of my patients are already aware and have done laboratory tests for food allergies or for food intolerance/sensitivity. Sometimes, there have been dramatic results in health and well being because of the tests.

This type of testing is not well known and is not covered by OHIP, but it would seem that even doctors at Sunnybrook Hospital are beginning to see value in such tests. A patient of mine showed me an article from the newspaper 24 Hours, which I will attach to this post for all to read.

IgG and IgE food testing has been around for quite some time, but not all patients need to get this test. As discussed in this article, there are other less expensive ways to do so which some patients opt for. However, you should check with your insurance to see if you are covered for this laboratory test. If you're lucky, you will be and the test can be done for a much lower price than that quoted in the article depending on which laboratory provider is being used.

There are many lab tests that can be done to find possible problems or to track if treatments are working. Did you know that there are even urine tests to see if your osteoporosis treatments are working? This can be done sooner than waiting for a bone density scan, although bone density scans are considered the gold standard in medicine today.

Yours in Health,
Ian Koo, ND

Visit us on our new Facebook page!
"The care you want, the health you need."

No comments: